Follow by email

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I've always been a worker, physical labor is my favorite but I think any of our work is an offering to God. So make your work a joy instead of a burden and offer it up to Christ.

Ecclesiastes 3:9-13
What gain has the worker from his toil?
I have seen the business that God has given to the children of man to be busy with.
He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end.
I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live;
also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil—this is God's gift to man.
Bible Gateway link

3 comments:

  1. I'm always hesitant to offer links, but my newest post is about family, blue collar work and the dignity of labor. There aren't many still around who still enjoy physical labor, so perhaps you'll like reading why I varnish boats, and why I think laborers are a class act.

    I do hope your back is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't be hesitant to offer this link. It is wonderful and inspiring and such an encouragement to me. I have a very similar family background and the joy of work well done was a value passed on to me by both my parents. I retired from a big, powerful job at a very young age for retirement. People were amazed that I would willingly just give up the place, the power, and the money. When they would ask why I would do such a thing, the only answer I had was that I was finished. I finished that job and now I was available for whatever job God had for me next. I don't know what that is, but I work at being available to God for whatever purpose he has for me each day. Most of the time I don't even know what that is, but I do know it is the most remarkably satisfying job I've ever had.

      Delete
    2. Knowing that the time is "right" to take the next step is one of the greatest gifts in the world. I always laugh and tell people I use a "kairometer" rather than a "chronometer". It hasn't failed me yet.

      I'm so glad you stopped by and enjoyed the piece. I'll reply on my blog later - I'm just home for lunch now. And of course you're free to link to my blog in whatever way pleases you. I'd be honored. ~Linda

      Delete