Sunday, June 23, 2024

Peter and John were supernaturally released from prison. The religious officials felt threatened and wanted to kill them. But a law school professor gave the officials some advice, which I have used in my own life.



 “But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law held in honor by all the people, stood up and gave orders to put the men outside for a little while.”


Gamaliel: “So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God!” So they took his advice, and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.”

Acts 5: (ESV) Bible Gateway Passage link:


This passage always makes me think of the 'God things' in my life. In the scheme of things, my own story is like a puff of breeze, but here it is regardless.





In my early 20's I was working on a story for KQED the Public TV station in San Francisco. The work brought me to the East Coast, where I was only a quick train ride away from Washington DC. I'd never been there so I got on the train. I wandered out of Union Station and saw the Capitol building. The thought occurred to me "I could live here." Thus enfolded a series of events, like a glide path, where everything fell into place for me to move from my origins on the west coast to the country's capital.  I got a job in my field at a local TV station,  and a place to live. Eventually, I found myself, I found the love of my life, and married him and I found the work of my life. Once God made it clear to me that I was finished with that work, I had the time to really study my beloved Bible and I found a deep and abiding love in God's presence, which is ever growing.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog.

      Delete
  2. Kim, thank you for sharing this about your personal life. I have long admired your husband, Brit, for his professionalism and fairness in his commentary.
    I am also retired from my work and have much more time to study God’s Word and maintain my home with my “playmate”, the love of my life. God rewards us in our later lives, and I’m so grateful.
    Please continue to write and share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind. Thank you, and I will try to keep this up.

      Delete